6 Apr 2012

Dominatrix Alert: Arisaema thunbergii ssp urashima

What is one to think? A garden writer posting about a dominatrix! In the garden no less! Perhaps I should clarify the title of this posting…..

DSC_0722 The 35cm dusky purple stalk of Arisaema thunbergii ssp. urashima is topped with one horizontal leaf consisting of between eleven and fifteen leaflets, radiating outwards from a u shaped base. In mid-Spring the ‘flower’ or spathe emerges from the main stalk. The wonderfully mottled coloration of the base of the spathe is further accentuated by the deep purple, near black hood that tapers to a delightful point! From within this appendage emerges its whip like spadix that extends upwards to a length of almost 38centimeters which gives this sublime beauty its well-deserved dominatrix moment if ever there was one! ‘Urashima’ unlike some of its Asian cousins responds well to average to dry woodland conditions, and when happy is known to produce numerous offsets! Perfect for those who want to share their dominatrix tendencies with other gardeners!

DSC_0725DSC_0724Have I mentioned how thrilled I am to have the opportunity to grow and share these most sinisterly alluring garden treasures with fellow woodland gardeners? Of course, I have to mention that ‘sikokianum’ continues to captivate its audience that includes not only this overzealous gardener, but his sister, brother-in-law and two nephews as well:

DSC_0730I made mention of its resemblance to a cowl necked sweater in yesterday’s post – perhaps this photo better illustrates the point. I am amazed at the size of the spathe and spadix – a dramatic increase inside of twenty four hours!

DSC_0731

DSC_0739Looking for the perfect Easter gift for the garden enthusiast in your life? Look no further. Both of these intoxicating species are available in limited quantities from LittleTree Garden Market. Tell the staff you read about it here!

5 comments:

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Barry what is the cost of each of them .. I am curious .. they are both so stunning I can't even say anything that could suit their perfection !
Joy

Paul Jung said...

Anytime you have "dominatrix" and "Arisaema" in a title, you've caught my interest!

Barry said...

Joy:
Arisaema sikokianum is $34.99 and Arisaema urashima is $29.99, as is Arisaema kiushianum which will be a post as soon as his diminutive spathe opens. Let me know if you want any or all of them and I can purolate it to you!

GRACE PETERSON said...

Hi Barry. You and your Arisaemas! :) I was just on another blog and thought of you when I saw her Arisaema blossom. Here is the link to a nice photo.

http://yardisgreen.blogspot.com/2012/04/arisaema-sikokianum-is-considered-most.html

I hope your Easter was relaxing and enjoyable. Are you still having nice weather? I hope no freezes have threatened. We're finally feeling a little spring in the air here. Sunshine all weekend and the temps are in the low 60s. Hooray!

GRACE PETERSON said...

Hi Barry. You and your Arisaemas! :) I was just on another blog and thought of you when I saw her Arisaema blossom. Here is the link to a nice photo.

http://yardisgreen.blogspot.com/2012/04/arisaema-sikokianum-is-considered-most.html

I hope your Easter was relaxing and enjoyable. Are you still having nice weather? I hope no freezes have threatened. We're finally feeling a little spring in the air here. Sunshine all weekend and the temps are in the low 60s. Hooray!