23 Sept 2014

In The Gloaming of Gentle Decay



A new flush of foliage on Miss Grace [Cotinus coggygria 'Grace'] has been eliciting gasps and finger pointing from people walking down the street, wanting to know what kind of tree it is. Thanks to annual coppicing when it was but a mere shrub, it does in fact resemble a tree. I have seen this genus available as a grafted specimen.


Only yesterday I was worrying about where I was going to plant the newest Acer specimen - A.pseudoplatanus 'Eskimo Sunset' - and it wasn't until I realized that with his cream coloured foliage, he would look rather stunning planted at the base of the aforementioned Cotinus. Of course when I turned one of his leaves over to reveal the startlingly claret underside.... it was a no brainer. I still cannot get over the fact that this diminutive selection is not more popular. [Must remember to reserve two or three with Darren before he places his Spring order, as I am sure once folks realize how extraordinary it is, they will be knocking the doors down next year! 



This is also the time of year when my Actaea [formerly Cimicifuga, a name I much prefer!] is in glorious bloom. The flowers ar such a pristine white, at a time when the existing whites are all looking beige and faded. And then there is the olfactory overload, thanks to the delicate sweet fragrance that they emit. Its another of the 'must have' selections, especially for those looking not only for height, late season bloom, but for fragrance! Pure heavenly sublimation!


It helps that the camera has a love affair with them as well, although all of the photos in this post come via my iPhone and not my trusted DSLR.


Grace would perhaps feel at home with the pinks in the next photos. I despise its name. but love the blooms of Hydrangea paniculata 'Pinky Winky!' Damned teletubbies! 

Paeonia mlokosewitschii, affectionately known also as 'Molly The Witch' has the most unique seed pods! This one is fully opened where the remaining dozen or so [this was the best year for bloom, even if they were more pink than yellow!] all resemble smiling mouths filled with pink teeth! Most bizarre indeed!




The gentle decline isn't being so gentle in my favourite section of the garden. There is a lot of brown, decayed leaves, and while you cannot make them out very clearly, the bare stems of my beloved Anemonopsis macrophylla bring a certain pall and sadness to my heart! I wait ever so patiently for it to bloom every Summer, and then turn around to see empty stems! Sigh! We're supposed to have warmer temps for the next week. All Summer we went above 30 twice, and one of those days were here in September. Not that this icicle Canuck is complaining. On the contrary!

1 comment:

Barbarapc said...

Barry,
so lovely to see and hear you speak on Monday. I've got a perfect spot for that Cyclamen - starting a collection of wee garden treasurers by the front door. Should be perfect with the teeny hosta, hechera & tiarellas. B. p.s. That Acer is just the best! Reminds me of naked man who's sat in the snow! Is that too rude?