10 May 2015

Too Good To Be True.....


We've been waking to temps that are more akin to late June or even July as opposed to 10 May, and while I seem to be the only one complaining, [the photos in this post were snapped before I walked inside after work tonight] one has to wonder how much longer this can hold! I for one would like a week of cooler temperatures [low teens] and light rain. Of course my most beloved Glaucidium palmatum would likely side with those who think this the ultimate growing weather! He is smothered with sublime satiny mauve flowers this year! [I counted ten flowers, including a trio obscured by his magnificent foliage!] I think I might have to splurge for the white flowering species when I find time for my first visit of the season to Lost Horizons.



Polygonatum x hybridum 'Betberg' continues to bedazzle all who stumble across him! My garden friend Anna confided that her only complaint was that she wished he maintained his magnificent smoky purple bruised foliage throughout the growing season, as opposed to the two or three weeks, before eventually reverting to the more common garden green. His opulent, slightly pleated foliage does rank a close second for me!






I have counted close to two dozen thick, stocky stems this year, and there seems to be more with each passing day.  It is one that I am always asked if he is large enough to divide, but thus far I have been Mr. Greedy-pants. I was reading where Le Jardin de Balmoral, where the parent of this division originally came from, is now having to bring him in from the UK, he is so popular amongst connoisseur/collectors. 



Another of my favourite Spring blooming perennials is Lathyrus vernus. Most gardeners are familiar with its climbing cousin, affectionately called 'Sweet Pea' - but I prefer this one, which is much shrubbier and clamours through a neighboring Clematis. I want to say this one is called 'Regenbogen' but could be mistaken. 



Up until this morning I was worried that my precocious Syneilesis aconitifolia had not over-wintered, but upon closer examination this morning on the way to work, I squealed with delight to see the tiny, hairy umbrella shaped aliens peeking up around the stems of 'Betberg!' Somehow their placement bespeaks the fact that rare and unusual seem to gravitate to one another. They are forecasting possible thunder storms for tonight, but this past week has only seem a brief shower earlier today, and the fact is that we are in desperate need of some rain!



And here is the first of my Asian Arisaema species - this one is Arisaema thunbergii var. 'Urashima' which is also known as the 'dominatrix!' I will wait until he blooms when the name will be rather self explanatory! In the interim, what is your thought on the weather?

No comments: